Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A sucker for a sale..


for a sale...


So today, I write this with a heavy heart. I left it in the hands of a young Israeli salesman named Avi at West Town mall...
Now before you get all crazy on me listen to my story. You will feel my distress!
   So, my two younger sisters and I were walking along minding our business, shopping at West Town Mall. When out of nowhere, --literally out of nowhere--, I hear this strong accented voice saying "ladies, ladies.." I look to my left. and there he is. young, dark, tall Israeli, with a stare you couldn't escape. Tali started to whisper "ignore him" when I took a step toward his lovely, charismatic smile. "Can I ask you something?" I hesitate. "Sure.." Oh great. Here it goes. I'll never get out of here. 
"How do you do your hair?" Problem: I don't do my hair!! Really. I just get out of bed. hence my response: "nothing! I just get out bed." (look of obvious disbelief)
 "really." 
"yes!"
 "really?"
 "yes!!" 
"wow. do you ever straighten it?" 
"Sometimes!" (I said that last part a little too enthusiastically, grateful to be able to give him a satisfactory answer. "Can you...come over here for a moment, come over here." Ugh that accent. what did I do? I went. just like a crazy-head...
"Ok!" we all exchanged looks. 
"come sit here. I will not touch your hair!" *pause* "unless you want me to." yeah......right. and so begins my long, long trial of desperation and manipulation. "what is your name?" I feel a gust of pride. "Liel." His eyes widen. "liel? really? my best friend is named Liel. Lovely name; the best name." and the plot thickens. He proceeds to tell me how this straightener will beat all else, how it softens my hair, and brings out the healthy minerals. (it's true!! seriously amazing.) He then curls my hair, flattering it the whole time, of course. needless to say, it was a flawless curl.
 "I love it!" he smiled. 
grrr... "now how old are you?"
 "17." 
"You have a job?" 
"No." (my heart breaks a little at the memory of my wretched state.)
 "when I was 17 I had a job and lots of money all the time." (well, well, well, aren't we special?) I sigh. "now tell me, do you like it, or do you love it?" 
"well, that all depends on the price; whether I like it or I love it." 
He smiles (covering up his annoyance). "It is on its own $250, but I give it to  you for $150." Oh wow! that sounds a like a deal! NOT. but those eyes!! "I would but I'm broke, broke, broke." He doesn't even pause. "I tell you what. I will put in two shampoos, and will give you this card--this card lets you come in 10 times whenever you want to get your hair done however you want." Ok, now he's got me. This man is slick. "I just...I..." I put my head down. "I'm so stressed." He puts his hands on my head and lifts up my face. "do not be stressed, sweetheart." he clears the hair from my face. "you need this, right?" I pause. 
"this is the only deal. You cannot get this anywhere else. you must get this. please." I am beyond stressed. I DONT HAVE THE MONEY. why am I stopping? hesitating?? after a while, I finally come to the conclusion that I just cannot afford this right now. " you cannot? You really cannot?" I mournfully shake my head. "will you come back?"
 "umm..." 
"tomorrow?" 
"well, maybe more likely on Thursday." (right...)
 "Ok. You take this card." He writes down his name. "now you tell your mom, for your friend's mom how much you love this. How much you need this. come back and ask for me. It's Avi.  but you must come on Thursday. Please ladies." I take the card and hop out of my seat. "Liel!" he calls after me. "that is the most lovely name." 

  Now, to get to the chicken of the soup, or the gold of the mine, or....the moral of the story. This little example of what happened to me tonight (which happens more often than I dare to admit) is a perfect analogy of what the world does to us. are we buying into the world? are we looking into the charming eyes of deceit and allowing ourselves to be drawn in? are we suckers for a sale? Now, truth be told, the merchandise wasn't bad. It was good! but the cost was very much outweighed the benefit.  the things of the world draw us in. we are made to believe that we "need" them. that we are getting a deal!! that the cost isn't real a cost at all. In reality, the price we pay for the things of the world is our very souls. 
    "For you were bought with a price, therefore glorify God with your bodies."
                                         1 Corinthians 6:20 

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for  yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and rust CANNOT destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal."
Matthew 6:19-20

Satan is the master salesman. The master manipulator. The glittering glass. he beckons you to come, to draw near. it's not that big of a deal. "i'm not even going to touch your hair.." and he's not ugly either. the things of the world are ATTRACTIVE.  and before you know it, you are trapped in a place you never intended to be, and the cost is your very soul. 

"The thief comes ONLY to kill, steal, and destroy, but I have come that they may have life, and life more abundantly."
John 10:10 

Check yourselves. are you buying into the swirling circle of "need" and deceit? are you selling what is eternal, for what is destroyed? Do not be deceived. Satan is smart. determined. and very, very active. 

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same suffering are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you."
1 Peter 5:8-10


Take to heart what truly matters. Fix your eyes on Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will go strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.




1 comment:

  1. Wow Liel, that was amazing. It was a good lesson to learn, and an even better one to share, even though it may have seemed a hard lesson to learn. That is life though, we make mistakes and we learn and grow from them. Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete